Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Spelling Words

In my classroom I use Words Their Way to assist in my students' spelling and reading abilities. I have made spelling lists for Sorts 1-20 in the Letter Naming stage. These spelling words are organized by beginning consonants, word families, digraphs, and blends. You can click here to see my spelling lists on TpT.

 I love this program because it has the students sorting words and sounds based off phonetic patterns. Students learn how to read and spell these patterns while working through the sorts. Patterns from sorting can be generalized to words that are not on the spelling list. Therefore, spelling words are not made for memorization but for generalization.

 During the summer I will be working on Sorts 20-40, lesson plans, and games to go along each sort. Check back in to see more of my spelling ideas!

No comments:

Post a Comment